- Money of the Bible. “Tribute Penny” of Jesus Christ.
- The tribute penny was the coin that was shown to Jesus when he made his famous speech “Render unto Caesar…”
- Tiberius was Caesar of Rome over Pontius Pilot in Judea.
- Certified and preserved in a NGC AU holder.
- Listed as number 50 in the “100 Greatest Ancient Coins” book. Page 85.
Roman Empire, Tiberius: Since Tiberius was Caesar during Christ’s time on earth, the silver denarius of Tiberius is most often identified as “The Tribute Penny.” The tribute penny was the coin that was shown to Jesus when he made his famous speech “Render unto Caesar…” The phrase comes from the King James Version of the gospel account: Jesus is asked, “Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?” (Mark 12:14) and he replies, “bring me a penny, that I may see it” (Mark 12:15). A denarius was often the day’s wage for a soldier or common laborer.
We guarantee all of our coins, so your purchase and satisfaction are always secure.