Attica, Athens Silver Tetradrachm NGC AU Star 5x5
Sorry, currently out of stock
c. 440-404 BC
rv owl, olive spray, moon
- One of the most popular, recognizable silver design types for over 2,400 years. Listed as no.10 in the book "100 Greatest Ancient Coins" by Harlan J. Berk.
- In the 5th Century B.C. Athens first produced Tetradrachms with Athena's Head on the obverse, and her bird- the owl on the reverse.
- Athenian art at this time took on a more classical form, but the Athenians issued this coin in an old Archaic style.
- This was one of the work horse coins of its era. Trusted by Kings, and merchants alike for its silver purity, and popularity among the people.
- Hand struck in High Relief, with all the qualities of a miniature sculpture. Given a special "star" designation because of its exceptional strike.