Byzantine Empire, Justinian II gold Solidus "First Reign" NGC MS 4x5
Sorry, currently out of stock
- Gold solidus, 4.46 g., minted in Constantinople. NGC graded MINT STATE , Strike 4/5, Surface 5/5, NGC # 4372535-004, a spectacular specimen with a exceptional and sensitive rendition of the first numismatic portrait of Jesus Christ on a gold coin
- Obverse: Facing bust of bearded Christ Pantokrator, holding Gospels and with his right hand raised in benediction.
- Reverse: Justinian standing, facing, wearing loros and holding cross potent on a two-stepped base, The reverse has a couple of small scratches that form a sideways V, NGC has noted this as graffito thus holding it back from a possible Choice Mint State status. Very PQ for the grade.
- This coin can be found in the Top 100 Ancients book, coin #77 on page 114.
- A "First Reign" example can be found at the Metropolitan Museum of Art- New York. Where if certified today would possibly grade in the XF-CHXF range. Our specimen is an incredible high grade rarity that would normally be found in another prestigious Museum or centuries old european collection.